Outpost’s foundational structure is and always has been small, consistent groups in a program that is 100% outdoors. This “big picture” foundation is ideal as we continually adapt the “smaller picture” details to ensure we are operating as safely as possible and following all guidelines from our regulatory agencies.
Our Regulatory Agencies
We are permitted to be open unless we receive specific orders to close from the County. We follow COVID-19 Day Camp Guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health.
We follow the most current federal and local guidelines with regards to best practices for preventing, identifying, and managing COVID-19. We partner with the following agencies and follow their required guidelines in full:
- San Diego Department of Environmental Health
- California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- American Camp Association
- City of San Diego (Canyonside Recreation Center)
We will continue to modify our programming as may be required by the agencies above. This COVID-19 page will be updated as regulations change.
Because of the close contact within a camp community, and to mitigate the risks, we are implementing the following procedures:
- Children in Outpost are placed in cohorts or small, consistent groups based on age (maximum of 12 campers each). Children spend the majority of each camp day with their small, consistent group.
- Campers and staff will be required to wear masks on buses (regardless of vaccination status).
- Per our guidelines regarding outdoor recreation, children are not required to wear masks during outdoor activities. Our camp is 100% outdoors. Therefore, at this time, masks are only required during bus rides. This policy may change prior to Summer 2022. In that case, parents will be notified via this page and via email.
- Our camp fully supports all children and staff choosing to wear masks at any time during the camp day as we want each of our community members to feel comfortable and safe. Please contact our office if you wish to discuss this.
- We have updated hygiene protocols for cleaning and disinfecting. Specifically, this includes scheduled times throughout each day for handwashing and disinfecting as well as minimizing the sharing of supplies and equipment.
Acknowledgment of Risk
As we know, COVID-19 will be with us for the foreseeable future. No matter what procedures and protocols are put in place, there is simply no way to guarantee that COVID-19 or any other communicable disease will not enter camp. By the very nature of the personal interactions that take place in a school or camp environment, there is always a risk of your child contracting this or any other disease or infection. And again, we will do everything within our power to keep your child healthy and safe at Outpost this summer.
We welcome you to call our office (858-842-4900) with any questions related to COVID-19. We would be happy to discuss our policies and procedures to help you determine if camp is a good fit for you and your child this summer. If 2022 isn’t the right summer for your family to come to camp, we hope to see you at Outpost in the future!