Outpost’s foundational structure is and always has been small, consistent groups in a program that is 100% outdoors. This “big picture” foundation is ideal as we adapt the “smaller picture” details to ensure we are operating as safely as possible and following all guidelines from our regulatory agencies.
Our Regulatory Agencies
We are permitted to be open, including when San Diego County is in the purple tier, unless we receive specific orders to close from the County. We follow COVID-19 Day Camp Guidance provided by the California Department of Public Health.
We follow the most current federal and local guidelines with regards to best practices for preventing, identifying, and managing COVID-19. We partner with the following agencies and follow their required guidelines in full:
- San Diego Department of Environmental Health
- California Department of Public Health
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- American Camp Association
- City of San Diego (Canyonside Recreation Center)
We will continue to modify our programming as may be required by the agencies above. This COVID-19 page will be updated as regulations change.
By the first day of camp, parents will be required to:
- Complete a Canyonside Parent Commitment Form (click here to view the form)
Because of the close contact within a camp community, and to mitigate the risks, we are implementing the following procedures:
- Children in Outpost will be placed in cohorts or small, consistent groups based on age (maximum of 12 campers each). Children will remain in their small group distanced from other small groups as much as possible.
- Children will be required to wear masks during pick-up, drop-off and bus rides.
- Per our guidelines regarding outdoor recreation, children will be allowed to take off their masks when they are in their small, consistent groups distanced from other groups.
- We have updated hygiene protocols for cleaning and disinfecting. Specifically, this includes scheduled times throughout each day for handwashing and disinfecting as well as minimizing the sharing of supplies and equipment.
Acknowledgment of Risk
As we know, COVID-19 will be with us for the foreseeable future. No matter what procedures and protocols are put in place, there is simply no way to guarantee that COVID-19 or any other communicable disease will not enter camp. By the very nature of the personal interactions that take place in a school or camp environment, there is always a risk of your child contracting this or any other disease or infection. And again, we will do everything within our power to keep your child healthy and safe at Outpost this summer.
We welcome you to call our office (858-842-4900) with any questions related to COVID-19. We would be happy to discuss our policies and procedures to help you determine if camp is a good fit for you and your child this summer. If 2021 isn’t the right summer for your family to come to camp, we hope to see you at Outpost in the future!